5 Things: Behind the Mask Studio Arts at West Roxbury Library Today
Students will create a paper-mache mask with Behind the Mask Studio Artists.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- Today at the West Roxbury Library in celebration of Black History Month, there will be a workshop focused on the variety and uses of masks found in African culture. Students will create a paper-mache mask with Behind the Mask Studio Artists. Behind the Mask Studio Artists will display samples, discuss techniques and guide creativity. This program is a partnership with Young Audiences of Massachusetts: Arts for Learning. 4-5:30 p.m.
- The Summer of Opportunity (SOO) employment program for Boston youth is back for its 20th year. SOO will last from July 1 to August 9, taking place on Mondays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. During these six weeks, young people from the ages of 15 to 17 will learn valuable leadership and life skills in a structured environment while earning a weekly stipend. Application info here.
- This morning bring your toddler for a free drop-in story time and art making in the Museum of Fine Art galleries for MFA Playdates. Free admission for kids. 10:30-11:15 a.m. 465 Huntington Ave.
- Read about this huge drug bust - half a kilo of cocaine and 50 grams of heroin - found in a secret compartment in a car seized from a suspect in West Roxbury. The suspect had multiple aliases and had either burned his fingertips or surgically-enhanced them in some manner to lead police astray.
- The Tech-Goes-Home Workshop starts Tuesday at 10 a.m. The workshop strives to ensure all Bostonians are provided with the tools, training, and access to support 21st century skill development. This is a workshop for new computer users who have had limited instruction in the use of computer technology and who don’t currently have computer access or a computer at home. Pre-registration at the West Roxbury Library is required and the workshop is limited to 8 participants who can commit to the 15 hours of instruction. The workshop schedule is as follows: February 5, 8, 12, 15 - 10 a.m. to noon, and Feb. 22 and March 1 - 10 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Make-up date is March 8 - 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.