5 Things: Winter Wonderland DJ Public Skate Tonight in West Roxbury
On Saturday, the Boston Police Gaelic Column will host a fundraiser at the Irish Social Club to raise money for nearly a dozen NYPD Pipes and Drums police who lost their homes in NY and NJ due to Hurricane Sandy.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- Tonight is a Winter Wonderland DJ Public Skate at the Jim Roche Community Ice Arena. The ice-side DJ will be taking requests and playing today's hottest hits while you hit the ice with your friends and family. $5 admission; $5 rental skates on a first come, first served basis. Bring your glow sticks, this is a lights out skate! 8 p.m.
- On Saturday, the Boston Police Gaelic Column (bag pipers from the Boston Police Department) will host a fundraiser at the Irish Social Club beginning at 5:30 p.m. to raise money for nearly a dozen NYPD Pipes and Drums police who lost their homes in NY and NJ due to Hurricane Sandy. Tickets are $25 at the door. Admission is only $20 when purchased at The Corrib, West Roxbury Pub and West on Centre as well as at the Irish Social Club before the event.
- Also on Saturday is a day of Empowerment for Girls and Women sponsored by City Councilor Ayanna Pressley, the Boston Police Department and more. Four workshops will be offered: A personal safety training and Rape Aggression Defense System Teaser for women (the class is normally four weeks); A self-defense workshop for mothers and daughters (or adult women and their mentees); A workshop designed for survivors; A workshop for providers that will explore the complexity of sexual violence in the context of intimate partner relationships and better equip providers with the tools to identify clients in violent relationships and connect them with resources. Register on Facebook. The Empowerment Day will take place on Sat., January 19 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Northeastern University, Egan Engineering/Science Research Center, Raytheon Amphitheater, 120 Forsyth St., Boston.
- Register your Parkway Little Leaguer now online before the cost goes up.
- Register your Parkway Youth Lacrosse players before the price goes up and learn more about the league here with a FAQ.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.