5 Things You Need to Know Today: August 21
It's Boston Restaurant Week - how many will you try?
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- Boston Restaurant Week is this week and next week! So why don't they call it Boston Restaurant Weeks this year? Masona Grill and Sofia's Italian Steakhouse are participating, check out the rest here.
- The Boston Children's Festival is being held today at Franklin Park's Playstead. ParkARTs Boston Children’s Festival at The Playstead in Franklin Park. 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Guests will enjoy face painting, arts and crafts, a magic show, games, a puppet show and more! The festival location is on Pierpont Road near the back entrance of Franklin Park Zoo. Free parking. Fully handicapped accessible. Free.
- On Thursday, author Michael Lisicky will discuss his new book "Filene's: Boston's Great Specialty Store" at Springhouse (44 Allandale St. Jamaica Plain). Released in May, the book shares details of Filene's and Filene's Basement. Regarded as the "World's Largest Specialty Store," William Filene's Sons Company, founded in 1870, brought fashion and entertainment to generations of Bostonians. Brothers Edward and Lincoln Filene were revolutionaries who champpioned employee relations and innovative merchandising.
- The Boston School Committee will meet in an executive session on Wednesday at 6 p.m. to discuss strategy for collective bargaining. 26 Court St., Boston.
- Want to know the cheapest gas station in West Roxbury? Check out West Roxbury Patch's Commute page here.