5 Things You Need to Know Today: August 23
Boston City Council passed redistricting map, which would keep West Roxbury in one district. Have you attended a Boston Restaurant Week restaurant yet?
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- The Boston City Council narrowly passed a redistricting map, 7-6, yesterday - and now Mayor Menino needs to sign it.
- Boston Restaurant Week is this week and next week! So why don't they call it Boston Restaurant Weeks this year? Masona Grill and Sofia's Italian Steakhouse are participating, check out the rest here.
- Today author Michael Lisicky will discuss his new book "Filene's: Boston's Great Specialty Store" at Springhouse (44 Allandale St. Jamaica Plain). Released in May, the book shares details of Filene's and Filene's Basement. Regarded as the "World's Largest Specialty Store," William Filene's Sons Company, founded in 1870, brought fashion and entertainment to generations of Bostonians. Brothers Edward and Lincoln Filene were revolutionaries who champpioned employee relations and innovative merchandising.
- On Friday there are Free Fun Fridays at the Boston Harbor Island Alliance and the USS Constitution Museum.
- Want to have your voice heard? Do you have a new business, or are you a budding poet - blog on West Roxbury Patch by clicking on the "start a blog" feature on the homepage.