5 Things You Need to Know Today: July 12
Learn about the War of 1812 today with a guided tour.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- Lock your vehicles. Better yet - don't leave any valuables in your vehicles. Thieves have been prowling Mt. Vernon Street breaking into cars and looking for GPS units.
- On Friday, admission to the Franklin Park Zoo is free due to Highland Street Foundation’s Free Fun Fridays.
- Today check out a guided walking tour of the North End and Charlestown waterfronts as guides share information about the outbreak of the War of 1812. Tour leaves the Paul Revere Statue at 2:30 p.m. and concludes at the USS Constitution Museum in Charlestown. Tickets cost $6 and are available at the Paul Revere House. Adult tickets cost $6 and children cost $1.50.
- Register for J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge, a 3.5-mile road race and stick around after for the post race party. Starting at 7:15 p.m. on the Boston Common, the 29th annual J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge race benefits many charities and is fun for everyone involved. Costs $45.
- Check out the WFNX Downtown Boston Block Parties: Nothing says summer like a patio party with live bands, a cash bar and food from downtown restaurants. This free event is for the 21+ crowd. It goes from 5-8 p.m.