5 Things You Need to Know Today: June 1
The Corrib Kids Fun Run is at 10 a.m. on Sunday at Billings Field, and the 19th annual Corrib Classic 5K Race is at noon. And the Roslindale Village Farmers' Market begins on Saturday.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the five things in the comments section.
- The 19th Annual Corrib Classic 5K Race is on Sunday. The start is at noon on Lagrange Street at Billings Field. Runners can download an application or register on-line at www.coolrunning.com by clicking on ‘Races/Results-June 3’. The event web site has comprehensive information on the race, post-race cookout and activities, and volunteer opportunities.
- On Sunday, is the Corrib Kids Fun Run before the 5K, at Billings Field. The kids’ race is FREE and will begin at 10 a.m. For boys and girls between the ages of 4-12. Fun Run applications are available at the YMCA, The Cooperative Bank branches, or the Corrib Pub. T-shirts and medals will be given to the first 100 registered runners. Runners can also register on race day at Billings Field between 9-9:45 a.m. The event is sponsored by the Cooperative Bank and the Corrib Charitable Trust, Inc.
- On Saturday at the Hyde Park Library is a free Family Concert & Instrument Petting Zoo. Join the Chameleon Arts Ensemble for an afternoon of classical music inspired by stories and communication through music. A crafty trickster comes to life, drums tell stories from Polynesian folklore, a violin sings a lullaby, and musical instruments have a conversation. An instrument “Petting Zoo” and demonstration will follow the performance in the Library's beautiful outdoor Children's Garden. Children will be able handle and play orchestral instruments as guided by the musicians, and will be encouraged to touch, blow, pluck, bow, and strike. 35 Harvard Ave., Hyde Park.
- On Saturday, the Roslindale Village Farmers' Market begins its 27th season of the Roslindale Village Main Street Farmers’ Market in Adams Park at the intersection of Washington Street and Cummins Highway in Roslindale Village. The market will be every Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. through October 27.
- Today is June 1. The month of June is named after the Roman goddess Juno, who gave birth to Mars.