5 Things You Need to Know Today: June 14
Miss Boston will be playing the piano for residents at Deutsches Altenheim.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- Miss Boston Kelsey Beck will be visiting the Deutsches Altenheim campus tomorrow at 2 p.m. for a meet and greet with residents. She will be playing the piano in the Bierstube at Edelweiss Villageand. Beck is an advocate for seniors.
- The West Roxbury & Roslindale Rotary Club and the Roslindale and West Roxbury Kiwanis are holding their annual fundraiser softball game this Saturday. At the Jason Roberts Field at the Ohrenberger School at 175 West Boundary Road at 11 a.m. Activities include a home run derby and softball game. A portion of the proceeds will go to benefit the Jason Roberts Challenger League and other local charities. All are welcome to join and play. Or simply come to support the game. Hot dogs and hamburgers will be available.
- The West Roxbury YMCA is offering free summer memberships to teens.
- Today the Boston City Council Education Committee is holding a hearing regarding the Boston Public Schools teacher hiring and assignment policies. The hearing will focus on reforming the seniority-dominated hiring process in
Boston. Boston City Hall. 5th floor. 4 p.m.
- On Friday night is the Crusaders Spring Fling fundraiser at the Irish Social Club of Boston. Michael and Julie Woodall are running a fundraiser. This is the New England preview performance of the 2012 Boston Crusaders. production. Also appearing will be the Crusaders Senior Drum & Bugle Corps. There will be food, both silent and live auctions, and plenty of prizes and giveaways. The 2012 Crusader Hall of Fame class will be inducted during the evening's festivities, as well. Tickets can be purchased at the door or online here. 7 p.m. to midnight.