5 Things You Need to Know Today: May 16
City Councilor Jackson calling for a hearing on recess and recreational activities in Boston Public Schools; and a free a cappella concert tonight at Roxbury Latin.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the five things in the comments section.
- At today's weekly Boston City Council meeting, District 7 City Councilor Tito Jackson is calling for a hearing "regarding recess and recreational activities in Boston Public Schools."
- Also at today's meeting, At-Large City Councilor Ayanna Pressley is expected to call for a hearing "on the Boston Public School and Boston Teacher Union's efforts to diversify the teacher workforce in Boston Public Schools."
- This week's Readers' Choice Poll wants to know - what is the best package store in West Roxbury? Vote here. Voting ends on Friday at 9 a.m. and the winner will be announced on Friday.
- Tonight enjoy a fun and free concert, with the Sly Voxes Spring Concert. The Sly Voxes is a men's a cappella group directed by Headmaster Kerry Brennan, performing motets, madrigals, folksongs, spiritual and pop favorites. 7:30 p.m. Roxbury Latin School, 101 St. Theresa Avenue, West Roxbury. All are welcome. Admission is free. Reception will follow.
- Are you an employeer looking for youthworkers for the summer? Or are you a youth looking for a job? Check out the Mayor's Summer Jobs Program website here to learn about hiring and getting hired.