5 Things You Need to Know Today: November 1
The Fashion Mob is tonight with the models hitting Spring Street at 6:30 p.m. in front of Kalember Dune, Top It Off and Fabutique.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- The Fashion Mob Show is TONIGHT starting at 5:30 p.m., with models hitting the section of 162 to 170 Spring Street in Fabutique and Top It Off fashion at 6:30 p.m. Free drinks and appetizers will be served by BakerBaker. Come see the fashion and do a little shopping. Stores will be open until 9 p.m.
- The Boston City Council approved a third redistricting map (first two were vetoed by Mayor Menino) yesterday, with a 11-2 vote in support of the map. Now Menino has to approve or veto.
- There is also a fundraiser tonight at the Elks Lodge for the McCarthy family. Karyn's 6-year-old son, Gavin, was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma (tumors on his brain) at age 3, and he has been receiving chemotherapy since that age. About six weeks ago Karyn, Gavin's mother, was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She is in the midst of her battle and is attending daily chemotherapy sessions, and her diagnosis is uncertain. Karen is a 17-year veteran of the Boston Police Department. 7 p.m. $20 goes to defray the costs of medical treatments for Gavin and Karen.
- Tonight the Bellevue Hill Improvement Association is meeting at St. George's Church. 7 p.m.
- On Saturday join West Roxbury Main Streets and Parkway Running Club for a Highland Hash Fun Run with Slumbrew at Porter Cafe. 2 p.m. run starts from Porter Cafe, followed by appetizers and beer from Slumbrew at Porter Cafe from 2:30 - 4 p.m. Run participants meet at the host venue where they can choose from a 2.5-mile or 5 mile route based on their skill level. Each route will end back at the venue, with light appetizers and locally brewed craft beer. Free due to sponsorship by the Parkway Running Club and West Roxbury Main Streets to promote healthy living and neighborhood businesses in West Roxbury.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.