5 Things You Need to Know Today: November 8
West Roxbury-Roslindale Kiwanis Club meeting today at West Roxbury YMCA.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- The West Roxbury-Roslindale Kiwanis Club meets today at the West Roxbury YMCA. Kiwanis Club has been serving the needs of the community since 1935. Visitors are most welcome to join. 12:15 p.m.
- On Friday, there will be a Benefit for Donna Melendez - a Cure for Carcinoid Cancer. Born and raised in West Roxbury, is a married mother of three who is battling Carcinoid Cancer. Donna was diagnosed in March 2009 and has undergone treatment since then in America. Donna's family and friends will be hosting a benefit on her behalf at the Boston Lodge of Elks, from 6-10 p.m. Donations raised at this benefit will be for Donna's treatment in Switzerland. Please help support efforts by donating a company gift card, products, gift baskets or services can be raffled at the benefit. Monetary gifts to the "Charging Zebra for Carcinoid Cure" can be deposited in care of the Blue Hills Bank located at 1920 Centre Street, West Roxbury 02132. Other donations can be sent to 84 Sanborn Ave West Roxbury 02132. The EIN number is available upon request. Tickets $30 each, which includes silent auction, buffet, dinner, dancing and cash bar. For tickets or additional information please call Nancy Madden at 774-219-9317 or Janet Bryson at 617-610-4890.
- On Saturday is the 5th Annual Ho Ho Holiday Bash Craft Vendor Fair at the Boston Elks Lodge. Bring a new unwrapped toy for "The Home for Little Wanderers" and admittance is free. $2 admission otherwise, and kids are free. Door prize: Boston to Bermuda cruise on Norweigan Cruise Lines. Electronics, prize table, silent auction, bake sale, and food service. Red Sox, Patriots, and Bruins tickets, as well as autographed photos. There will be about 50 crafters with many gifts for holiday shopping. 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Volunteers are needed to deliver groceries to the elderly and needy in the Parkway area this holiday season, organized by the West Roxbury Business and Professional Association.
- Check out West Roxbury election results here.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.