5 Things You Need to Know Today: September 27
Learn about the New Brook Farm tonight at the library; and a Girls Night Out!
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- Today West Roxbury Saves Energy presents "New Brook Farm: An Introduction" at the West Roxbury Library at 7 p.m. West Roxbury's national historic landmark Brook Farm (located on Baker Street off the VFW Parkway) in the 1840s supported a utopian agrarian community inspired by the Transcendentalists. Come hear about a group of local citizens leading a community effort to launch a New Brook Farm that will echo that history by supporting sustainable farming. New Brook Farm will also act as an educational tool for learning about the farm's past in addition to gardening, horticulture, food preparation and preservation, and more. Free.
- Tonight is a Girls Night Out at Fabutique, and stop by for cocktails, hors d'ouvres, discounts and some fun. Then head to West on Centre to continue the Girls Night Out as they have something special planned for the ladies.
- The West Roxbury YMCA is offering a five-week Youth and Government class starting today. Students or "delegates" participate in a Model Government Conference being a senator, state representative, lobbyist, judge, lawyer, journalist or other positions. Build your confidence, public speaking skills, critical thinking, influence, communication skills and more. Please contact Becky Peluso, West Roxbury Teen Director, 857-547-1332. $350 can be offset by fundraisers.
- The Boston Public Schools released five plans to improve the school assignment process for students. Read more here. City Councilor John Connolly said the plans lack specifics, read more here.
- Today is day three of Bank of America hosting a free, three-day homeowner assistance event. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet face-to-face with Bank of America specialists to review their full financial situation and alternatives to foreclosure, such as a loan modification or short sale, with the goal of walking away with a decision about their mortgage. Workshops and non-profit counselors will also be available on-site to provide financial education and budgeting tips. A list of important documents to bring is available at www.bankofamerica.com/homeownerevent. Boston Marriott Long Wharf Hotel, 296 State St., Boston.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.