5 Things You Need to Know Today: September 28
Tonight is a fundraiser for holiday decorations for West Roxbury's Centre Street at the Irish Social Club.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- Tonight there is a fundraiser to purchase holiday decorations for West Roxbury's business district. Last year state Rep. Ed Coppinger and Leader Bank had to purchase last minute decorations for Centre Street - but not this year! 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. The Fenian Sons Band and DJ George Manning are donating their time for the event. Tickets are $10 at the door. There will also be numerous raffles. Irish Social Club.
- The West Roxbury YMCA is offering a free 10-week membership to teens, as well as a free college prep classthat addresses the college essay process, the application process including the common application. Please contact Becky Peluso West Roxbury YMCA Teen Director 857-547-1332 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The college prep class starts on Sept. 29 and goes through Nov. 3. Still contact if you can't make Sept. 29.
- On Saturday is the Arabic Evangelical Baptist Church Annual Church Bazaar. Middle Eastern food and delicacies, home goods, gifts, raffles and more. 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- The Boston Public Schools released five plans to improve the school assignment process for students. Read more here.
- On Sunday join New Brook Farm, Inc. for a walking tour of historic Brook Farm led by Bob Murphy, president of the West Roxbury Historical Society. The tour will be immediately followed by refreshments and informal discussion of New Brook Farm's vision: to create a community farm on the site, along with educational programs for all ages focusing on local history, urban home gardening, food preparation and preservation, and more. Please gather at the information kiosk at 1:45. The tour will begin promptly at 2 p.m. Brook Farm.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.