The Boston Police Department encourages businesses to practice the following safety tips in the event they are robbed:
During the robbery
- Give the robber the money they ask for.
- If the robber tells you to open the safe and you can, open it.
- If a robber tells you to open the safe and you can’t, tell him that they don’t trust you to have access to it.
- Don’t argue with or agitate the robber.
- Try to memorize what the robber looks like and what they are wearing.
- Do not chase or follow the robber.
- Once the robber has left call 911 before you call anyone else.
After the robbery:
- Call 911 immediately.
- Lock the front door to the store and don’t let anyone in.
- Ask anyone who was in the store during the robbery to stay until the police arrive.
- While waiting for the police write down a physical description of the robber and what he/ she was wearing and what the robber touched.
- Try not to touch anything.
- Try to stay off the phone until responding officers arrive.
If you have any questions, here is how to get in touch with officers from District E-13, which serves most of Jamaica Plain:
- Front Desk 617-343-5630
- Drug Control Unit 617-343-4958
- Detectives 617-343-5628
- Auto Investigations 617-343-5634
- Youth Service Office 617-343-5623
- Domestic Violence 617-343-4959
- Neighborhood Crime Watch 617-343-5623
- Community Service 617-343-5623
These tips were provided by the Boston Police Department.