CHART: Salaries of Massachusetts Mayors - Menino Tops List
Here's a look at what mayors across the Bay State earn each year.
Boston Mayor Thomas has the highest salary for any mayor in Massachusetts. The mayor of the largest city in the commonwealth earns $175,000.
Boston's City Charter determines the the Boston mayor's salary.
Menino actually earned less in fiscal year 2010 when he took a three percent paycut, lowering his salary to $169,750.
The following chart does not include every Bay State mayor, but is compiled from the latest data we've been able to find and ranges all the way from $73,000 to $175,000:
|Lynn||Judith Flanagan Kennedy||$82,500*|
* Kennedy currently earns $82,500, but that's due to a dispute over how the mayor's salary is set. The Daily Item of Lynn reports the Lynn City Council last voted on that salary in 1998 and since then the mayor has been considered a department head with a negotiated salary and other perks. Former Mayor "Chip" Clancy earned more than $145,000 his last year in office.
* Peabody City councilors gave a raise to Mayor Ted Bettencourt Thursday night -- just over 10 percent or $10,000 -- raising his salary to $105,000 and explained that it may seem like a "huge" bump but is actually making up for 12 years without any increases.
* Kirk's current salary is $75,000, but the Gloucester City Council has approved a pay raise effective January 2014.
* There is a proposal before the Woburn City Council to increase Galvin's salary to $105,000.
* DeMaria's salary will increase to $105,000 from $85,000 on January 2014.
* Dolan actively sought a $25,000 pay bump from the Melrose Board of Aldermen to put him at $125,000, arguing that he makes less than mayors and town managers in neighboring communities. The board recently agreed and Dolan's new salary is effective January 2014.