National Ice Cream Month is July - President Ronald Reagan designated it so in 1984.
Reagan also named the third Sunday in July as National Ice Cream Day, which is today. So what's your favorite ice cream flavor? Take the poll and let us know in the comments about your opinions on ice cream.
How about some ice cream statistics from Baskin-Robbins? The business known for its 32 flavors commissioned an independent survey of 1,000 U.S. respondents to learn that according to the survey, 82 percent of Americans plan to enjoy ice cream during National Ice Cream Month this year.
- 77% said they eat ice cream at least once a month
- 42% said they eat ice cream at least once a week
- 5% said they eat ice cream every day
- 70% prefer to eat ice cream in a cup rather than on a cone
- More than 60% preferred hard scoop ice cream to soft serve
- Hot fudge topped the list for favorite ice cream topping, followed by caramel sauce and chopped nuts.
Possibly one of the most alarming statistics was:
- Regardless of the form in which it’s consumed, more than 25% of respondents said their children are either covered in ice cream or leave half of it on the floor while eating it
- 20 percent said their kids are "clean as a whistle” while eating ice cream.
National Ice Cream Day Twitter Sweepstakes
To help celebrate National Ice Cream Day, Baskin-Robbins is holding a Twitter sweepstakes on Sunday, July 15, to give ice cream lovers a chance to win $260 in Baskin-Robbins gift cards, enough to keep the ice cream scoops flowing for a year. On that day, followers of @BaskinRobbins who Tweet their favorite Baskin-Robbins ice cream flavor using the special hashtag #BRflavors will be entered for the chance to win. For official rules and additional details about the sweepstakes, visit www.BaskinRobbins.com or follow @BaskinRobbins on Twitter this Sunday.