To the Editor:
On behalf of the officers and board members, I wish to extend a thank you to the Patch/AOL for their generous donation of $2,000. Tony Saroufim and myself designated AABA as our favorite charity. The concept of the “election” was great, done in fun, but most important brought the community of West Roxbury together.
AABA was established in 1974 and to date, we have accomplished the following:
- Sponsored and have subsidiezed over 200 day trips for our seniors
- Since 1984 sponsored the Arabian Nights Radio program, which is heard Sunday morning at 9:00 a.m. on 1330 AM
- In March 1987 the ribbon was cut and the doors to Cheriton Grove Apts, our 60 unit senior housing was open to residence
- Our food assistance program begaan in 1991 where food certificates are distributed twice a year – once at Thanksgiving and once at Easter. To date over $100,00 in certificates has been distributed
- Scholarships to our youth began in 1994. To date over $65,000 in scholarships have been awarded
- AABA is a proud sponsor of the Parkway Youth Soccer Team
- AABA sponsors a blood drive through the American Red Cross
The James M. Salah Family Housing at Cheriton Heights, our 70 unit residence for seniors, is under construction. Next year, the ribbon will be cut and the doors will be open to provide much needed elderly housing for seniors from all races and religions.
The American Arabic Benevolent Association, Inc. stands proud to be Americans and to provide the above services.