The national US Marine Toys for Tots program is in full swing collecting toys for those less fortunate this holiday season.
In West Roxbury alone there are at least eight local toy drop-off spots. All toys must be new, unwrapped and not of a violent nature.
All Boston Police Departments, including District E-5 is collecting toys, too. The following are some local drop-off spots:
- Gallagher Insurance & Real Estate will be acccepting donations until December 19 at 106 Spring St. Donations may be made in Memory of Lance Corporal Joseph McLean III, a local resident and Marine, who died by accident while stationed in Hawaii.
- Get a FREE public skate pass for a future visit when you donate a toy during the Jim Roche Community Ice Arena Toys for Tots Charity event on Friday from 8-9:50 p.m. The arena is collecting until Dec. 5.
- Get in Shape for Women is collecting until Dec. 15 at 77 Spring St.
- Prime Motor Group is collecting until Dec. 16 at 1575 VFW Parkway
- The Real Deal is collecting until Dec. 16 at 1882 Centre St.
- Gordon's Woods Condominiums is collecting until Dec. 21 at 990 VFW Parkway and will match any donation brought to the condos.
- Walgreens is collecting until Dec. 16 at 1999 Centre St.
Toys for Tots is a non-profit organization with more than 98% of donations going to providing toys, books and other gifts to less fortunate children. The other 2% is spent to support Toys for Tots fundraising expenses - not one donated dollar goes to pay for salaries or any other manpower cost, according to the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation website.