West Roxbury YMCA Swim Programs Teach Confidence and Safety
Summer will be here soon, so encourage kids to learn how to swim this winter.
The following was submitted by the West Roxbury YMCA.
As swim season approaches, the West Roxbury YMCA reminds kids and adults about the importance of practicing safety when in and around the water. The Y offers a variety of swim programs in West Roxbury, where swimmers can have fun while developing confidence, engaging in physical activity and learning safety skills that can save lives.
“The West Roxbury Y is committed to providing as many opportunities as possible for everyone to learn basic swimming lessons and water safety practices,” said Kelly Salisbury, Aquatics Director, West Roxbury YMCA. “We encourage kids and adults to have fun when in and around the water, but to always make safety their first priority.”
The summer will be here before you know it. Now is the right time to teach children how to swim. The West Roxbury YMCA recommends kids and adults practice the following safety tips when in and around the water:
- Only swim when and where there is a lifeguard on duty; never swim alone.
- Adults should constantly and actively watch children in and near the water. If multiple adults are in the vicinity, designate a “water watcher” so everyone knows who is on duty.
- Inexperienced swimmers should wear a Coast Guard-approved life jacket when in, on, or around the water.
- Parents or guardians of children who are non-swimmers or beginning level swimmers should be in the water and within arm’s reach of their child.
- Children and adults should not engage in breath holding activities in the water.
As a leading nonprofit committed to youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y has been a leader in providing swim lessons and water safety for more than 45 years. The West Roxbury YMCA continues to help youth and adults experience the joy and benefits of swimming, so they can be healthy, confident and secure in the water. There are a variety of programs to choose, including swim lessons for all ages, swim team, Master’s Swim, and aqua fitness classes. To ensure that everyone has an opportunity to participate, financial assistance is available to those in need to help cover the costs.
To learn more about the West Roxbury Y’s swim programs, please contact Kelly Salisbury at 857-547-1348, or at email@example.com