- On Tuesday, Aug. 27, At-Large City Councilor Ayanna Pressley is leading a listening-only hearing for girls and their experiences with violence. Only girls and girls-serving organizations are testifying during the Committee on Women and Healthy Communities hearing, being held at the Reggie Lewis Track & Athletic Center's 2nd floor at 1350 Tremont St., at 2 p.m.
- The deadline to register to vote, update your address, or to change your political party for the Tue., Sept. 24 preliminary municipal election is Wed., Sept. 4. Residents looking to register to vote or make a change to their current registration may do so by applying in person at City Hall, requesting an application by mail by calling the Boston Election Department at 617-635-3767 or by downloading a mail-in registration form.
- Chessmaster Charlie moderates the Ted D'Amato Chess Club on Monday and Wednesday afternoons in the summer at the West Roxbury Library. The program runs from 2:30-5:30 p.m. for students of the game of all ages and skill levels. This program is funded by the Friends of the West Roxbury Branch Library.
- The BCYF Ohrenberger Community Center is accepting applications for the afterschool childcare program for ages 6-12. Alternate transportation through BPS can be arranged. Call 617-635-5183.
- The MGH-Charlestown Imaging Center is running a research study on maternal bonding and is looking for healthy mothers, ages 21 to 45, with infants ages 4-18 months to participate. For information, contact Dr. Shir Aztil at 617-373-2649 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.