The Boston Department of Public Works is adding four summer collections of leaf and yard waste to its spring and fall collection program, the DPW announced this week.
The DPW plans to collect residents' yard waste curbside, which will then be composted, according to the announcement.
The new collection schedule is as follows:
- Spring Collection runs four weeks between April 28 and May 23
- Summer Collection runs during the weeks of June 16, July 14, Aug. 11 and Sept. 15.
- Fall collection will run for seven weeks from Oct. 13 to Nov. 28.
Residents disposing of yard waste will need to follow the following instructions, according to the Boston DPW:
- Place leaves and yard debris in large paper leaf bags or open barrels labeled "yard waste" (no plastic bags). Yard waste stickers for barrels are available by calling 617-635-4500, or by request online here.
- Tie branches with string: 3-feet maximum length, 1-inch maximum diameter. Do not put branches in barrels.
- Barrels, bags and branches should be placed on curb by 7 a.m. on recycling day during the four-week spring collection, April 28 through May 23.
To find trash and recycling pick-up information specific to your neighborhood, visit www.cityofboston.gov/myneighborhood.