Beginning July, Catholic Memorial President Paul Sheff will
assume the role of President Emeritus and dedicate his time to the strategic
advancement of Catholic Memorial School.
Sheff will continue his term as president through the upcoming 2013-2014 academic year, making it his sixth year as president.
“It has been a joy for me to return to my alma mater, a community that has enriched my life, and to serve as its first lay leader,” said Sheff to faculty and staff, according to a press release.
Sheff is the first person in CM's history, who is not a Christian Brother, to be chosen president. He is a graduate of the 1962 Catholic Memorial class and its 11th president.
“Under Paul’s leadership, and with the support and collaboration of so many members of the CM community, we have taken enormous strides forward,” said Chair of the Board William J. Supple, class of 1977.
In an address to the school community, he cited some of Mr. Sheff’s contributions:
- CM has embraced a vision based on global education and public speaking. All boys now participate in these signature programs, which distinguish CM among its peers.
- Close to $5 million in capital improvements have been made, including the complete renovation of outdoor and indoor athletic facilities, three science labs, the entire exterior of Donahue Hall, and land acquisitions for future campus enhancements.
- CM’s middle school curriculum has been more closely aligned to that of the high school, with increased emphasis on STEM courses and extra-curricular activities especially pertinent to the learning interests of 12-15 year olds.
- A campus master plan has been completed, providing CM with a roadmap for its future physical expansion.
- The middle and high school buildings have been made completely Wi-Fi and a technology plan is in place.
“CM continues to graduate outstanding young men of faith and high character who go on to study, compete and excel at some of our nation’s most outstanding colleges,” added Supple.
Prior to becoming CM's president, Sheff led a 45-member advancement team at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester.
On July 1, 2008, Sheff became president of Catholic Memorial School.