Construction is set to begin this week on the new development of the West Roxbury YMCA building on Centre Street.
The $15 million project will involve the updating of the facility on Centre Street and the demolition of 16,000 square feet from the existing building, and the construction of a 24,000 square-foot addition, nearly doubling the size of the facility to about 40,000 square feet.
Officials broke ground on the project earlier this year, and construction fencing for Phase 1 of the project will begin on Wednesday, April 30, with the demolition the post office building to begin on May 16.
While the main parking lot will remain open during renovations, the day center lot at 1980 Centre St. will be closed, Marion Kelly, Executive Director of the West Roxbury YMCA, told West Roxbury Patch.
The Y's swimming pool, fitness center, group exercise classes and current programs will continue as usual until Sept. 1, Kelly added.
Site contractors will be working on the old Post Office building and then move into the Y building to an area that is not being used for programs, Kelly said.
JLL is set to provide project management services for the renovations, which are expected to be completed by the Summer of 2015.
The renovations will include the following features once completed:
- State-of-the-art health and wellness center that will overlook Billings Field
- A new aquatics center that will include two pools, a splash deck and a viewing area
- An expanded child watch area
- A community Plaza on Centre Street for outdoor YMCA activities, as well as community functions
- Expanded parking
- Handicapped access will be available throughout the building to ensure all patrons can utilize the YMCA's programs.