"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- On Friday at 5:15 p.m. the Macy’s Enchanted Trolley Tour will be coming to the Roche Family Community Center. Come join Santa and the rest of the West Roxbury community to ring in the holiday season. Light snacks and refreshments are provided by Sugar Bakery and Roche Bros.
- Also on Friday is The Sly Voxes, a men's a capella group directed by Roxbury Latin Headmaster Kerry Brennan, will present its holiday concert. The second half of the program will be a Messiah Sing-Induring which audience members will be invited to consitute the four vocal parts and join in the singing of the Christmas portion (as well as the "Hallelujah Chorus") from the world's most enduring masterpiece. If you can bring a copy of the Messiah, you are encouraged to do so. Members of the local community, as well as choruses and choirs of local churches and choral groups, are invited to join us, as singers and/or members of a music loving audience. Admission is free; reception will follow. 7:30 p.m. Rousmaniere Hall.
- Enter your house in Patch's Deck the House contest and win $100,000 for the Boston Public Schools district and $500 for your electricity bill.
- On Friday night FMC Ice Sports is holding its 1st annual local charity food drive and public skate event. Customers who donate two or more non-perishable food items during the event will receive a free public skate admission pass for a future visit to the rink. A live, ice-side DJ will be taking requests and playing today's hottest hits. Donations go towards The Greater Boston Food Bank. Rental skates available on a first come, first serve basis. Jim Roche Community Ice Arena. 8 p.m.
- Also on Friday night at the Holy Name Parish will be the Dedham Choral Society Christmas Concert performing "Christmas in Venice" celebrating the 400th anniversary of Giovanni Gabrieli. Join for a concert of the glorious works of Gabrielli with a 90-voice chorus and full orchestra in the magnificent acoustics of Holy Name Church. 8 p.m. $25.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.