"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- Tonight the Parkway Girls Softball League is holding its 7th Annual Comedy Night. This year, it will be Boston's infamous Steve Sweeney as the headline act. Buy your tickets at www.parkwaygirlssbl.com. $30. Elks Hall. 7 p.m.
- On Saturday, Parkway In Motion will be holding its annual fundraiser on at the Knights of Columbus. 110 Park St. 7 p.m. - midnight. All proceeds from the night will help Parkway In Motion fund events for youths in the Parkway area for 2013. Notably, its Junior West Roxbury Shootout, Football Field Day and Easter Egg Hunt (coming in March 2013). This will also help the organization take steps towards reaching its ultimate goal - providing scholarships to schools in the area. Suggested donation $20.
- The West Roxbury YMCA is hosting an open house for returning and new campers on Saturday. 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. Parents and children who attend the open house have the opportunity to lock in 2012 rates plus get 50% off camp deposits. Families can explore the different camp options offered and start a summer camp layaway payment plan.
- Want to go The Gathering 2013 in Ireland with Lord Mayor Richie Gormley in June? Click on the link to learn more.
- Register your Parkway Little Leaguer now online before the cost goes up. And if you want to be an umpire (boys and girls 13 and older) and get paid to call strikes, balls, and outs - you must attend the free Umpire School class sessions being offered by the Parkway Little League.
- Boston Public Schools has proposed three student assignment plans: A ten-zone option; and two “home-based” options that connect a child’s home address with schools nearby.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.