"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- Tonight Boston Public Schools will present the latest options for student assignment and the External Advisory Committee on School Choice will invite public comment. Suffolk University, 73 Tremont St., 9th Floor. 6 p.m.
- The Tech-Goes-Home Workshop starts Tuesday at 10 a.m. The workshop strives to ensure all Bostonians are provided with the tools, training, and access to support 21st century skill development. This is a workshop for new computer users who have had limited instruction in the use of computer technology and who don’t currently have computer access or a computer at home. Pre-registration at the West Roxbury Library is required and the workshop is limited to 8 participants who can commit to the 15 hours of instruction. The workshop schedule is as follows: February 5, 8, 12, 15 - 10 a.m. to noon, and Feb. 22 and March 1 - 10 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Make-up date is March 8 - 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- The West Roxbury-Roslindale Rotary Club is meeting today at noon at West on Centre. Anyone interested in joining is welcome to attend.
- On Sat. Feb. 9 starting at noon, visit Lord's & Lady's Hair Salon and whether you have an appointment or not, you can receive a complimentary personalized photo by PhotoOpBoston. You will get a photo in a Valentine's Day card.
- The Summer of Opportunity (SOO) employment program for Boston youth is back for its 20th year. SOO will last from July 1 to August 9, taking place on Mondays through Fridays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. During these six weeks, young people from the ages of 15 to 17 will learn valuable leadership and life skills in a structured environment while earning a weekly stipend. Application info here.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.