"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the five things in the comments section.
- Are you or someone you know in a local band? and the winning band will get to headline a show.
- Tonight presents . This will be a focused tasting where you will examine the grape varieties, techniques and regions of several classic wine styles. Learn all the basics that every wine drinker should know. $15. Buy tickets here. 7-8:30 p.m.
- Do you know where these daffodills are in West Roxbury? Write your guesses on the article and you may win a free West Roxbury Saves Energy t-shirt.
- This week's Patch Readers' Choice Best of Poll wants to know - where can you get the best soup and/or chowder in West Roxbury? Vote now and voting will close on Friday at 9 a.m. On Friday at noon we'll announce the winner.
- Do you know what healthcare treatments you would want if you could not speak for yourself? Do other people know what your wishes are? Now is the time to gather information about: treatment options, thinking about your values, talking about your decisions and documenting your wishes. is offering a free consultation on making these important decisionshas the tools to help. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., in the lobbies of Edelweiss Village and German Centre. For more info contact Mary Ellen Walsh, director of Social Services at 617-325-1230, ext. 240.