"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the five things in the comments section.
- Today is National Healthcare Decisions Day. Do you know what healthcare treatments you would want if you could not speak for yourself? Do other people know what your wishes are? Now is the time to gather information about: treatment options, thinking about your values, talking about your decisions and documenting your wishes. is offering a free consultation on making these important decisionshas the tools to help today. 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., in the lobbies of Edelweiss Village and German Centre. For more info contact Mary Ellen Walsh, director of Social Services at 617-325-1230, ext. 240.
- Are you or someone you know in a local band? and the winning band will get to headline a show.
- Celebrate Earth Day at Urban Wild – a 98-acre woodland in Boston’s West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain and Roslindale neighborhoods. Spend your day planting native trees and shrubs by volunteering at one of Boston’s open space jewels. On Saturday, between 10 a.m and 1 p.m. please join Boston Natural Areas Network and the City of Boston Parks and recreation Department for a well supervised service event. Officials will provide guidance, gloves and tools. Please wear sturdy shoes and bring a container of water. Meet at the parking area at 7 VFW Parkway, located to the right of . For information on this project, or to RSVP, contact email@example.com or 617-542-7696.
- This week's Patch Readers' Choice Best of Poll wants to know - where can you get the best soup and/or chowder in West Roxbury? Vote now and voting will close on Friday at 9 a.m. On Friday at noon we'll announce the winner.
- Draper Pool is getting a $3.75-million facelift starting early in 2013!