"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the five things in the comments section.
- The West Roxbury Art Association free fall demonstration will be tonight at the . Witness the art techniques demonstration by Kris Krietman from 6 to 8 p.m. Krietman, a lecturer of art techniques and oil painter, who showed in the Marina Bay last month, is popular with the Braintree and Quincy Art Associations. He will lecture concerning art techniques derived from the Old Masters.
- Tonight ReadBoston is hosting a shopping party featuring more than 20 local artists and merchants offering everything from jewelry to kitchenwares. Holiday shop while contributing to ReadBoston’s literacy programs. Choose from artisans and vendors offering gift items such as jewelry, childrens books, accessories, stationery, handbags, kids’ items, hospitality gifts, boutique clothing and more. 7-9 p.m. at . Admission is free. Complimentary hors d’oeuvres will be provided by West on Centre. Cash bar.
- Thinking ahead to Thursday, children can learn to Decorate a Gingerbread House at the West Roxbury Library for free. 4 p.m. Space is limited, so call first. 617-325-3147 ext. 3156.
- The West Roxbury Civic and Improvement Assocation is meeting tonight at 7 p.m. at . Open to the public. The agenda includes: s update on renovations to the quarry property, and request for a malt and wine license.
- And do you want to win the Boston Public Schools $100,000? Participate in the Deck Your House holiday house contest. You could also win money to pay your heating bill.