"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the five things in the comments section.
- Tonight will host a free community Messiah Sing at 7:30 p.m. Lend your voice to the Christmas portion of one of the greatest choral masterpieces, Handel's Messiah (or just come to listen and enjoy!). Bring your own score or borrow one. The school welcomes organist Brian Jones again this year to accompany the Handel, as well as guest conductors from local choruses and Boston area soloists. The evening begins with a special guest performance by The Sly Voxes — directed by Kerry Brennan and including RL alumni and current parents —presenting songs of the season. Admission is free; a reception will follow.
- The Toys for Tickets program is upon us. Any driver issued a non-public safety parking ticket between Dec. 5-9 can resolve it by providing a wrapped toy of equal or greater value to the ticket fine. (The city asks that the toy not be violent in nature.) To participate in Toys for Tickets, drivers must bring the parking ticket and a receipt for the toy to the Office of the Parking Clerk at City Hall between 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. or the City tow lot from Dec. 8-16. For more information.
- On Saturday is the 2nd Annual Holiday Stroll to support West Roxbury businesses this holiday season. All participating businesses will be offering promotions and/or give-a-ways. Kickoff the stroll at where you can visit with Santa (12-1 p.m.), get a free slice of pizza from , enjoy a wine tasting at and much more! End the stroll at the from 4-5 p.m., for appetizers, cocktails, and raffle prizes. Get a stamp in your Holiday Stroll Passport at every business you visit, for every stamp in your passport you will get one ticket for a raffle. Holiday Stroll Passports will be available at www.wrms.org on Dec. 3, or get your passport when you start the stroll at West On Centre. Passports are free and you must have a passport to receive give-a-ways and promotions.
- On Saturday from 10 a.m. to noon, Santa will be visiting Mt. Washington Bank. Free to have your picture taken with Santa.
- On Sunday is the 17th annual Walter's Run starting at the . The run is a fun and family friendly 5K road race run through the streets of West Roxbury. The race begins at 11 a.m. with a free kids race at 10:40 a.m. All proceeds go to three charities: the YMCA of Boston Reach Out Program, the Boston Globe, Globe Santa, and the Walter Burgess Scholarship fund that provides scholarships to young local athletes of need to a summer running camp. Free running gloves and a swag bag to first 250 entrants. Post race fun for the whole family includes lots of food, a large raffle, a visit from Santa, balloon animals, and holiday tattoos. For more info click here.