"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- On Saturday join West Roxbury Main Streets and Parkway Running Club for a Highland Hash Fun Run with Slumbrew at Porter Cafe. 2 p.m. run starts from Porter Cafe, followed by appetizers and beer from Slumbrew at Porter Cafe from 2:30 - 4 p.m. Run participants meet at the host venue where they can choose from a 2.5-mile or 5 mile route based on their skill level. Each route will end back at the venue, with light appetizers and locally brewed craft beer. Free due to sponsorship by the Parkway Running Club and West Roxbury Main Streets to promote healthy living and neighborhood businesses in West Roxbury.
- Do you like swing dancing? Boston Swing Central has swing dancing every Friday night. Come on down to at 8 p.m. for authentic jazz from the 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s from New York to New Orleans. Cost of admission is $10.
- On Saturday and Sunday is Roslindale Open Studios. More than 100 artists displaingy and selling their work in more than 40 locations in Roslindale Village. 11 a.m. - 5 p.m. Learn more here about locations and artists with the Roslindale Open Studios brochure.
- On Saturday is the Third Annual Holy Name Youth Service Project Casino Night Benefit from 7 to 11 p.m. Holy Name Parish Hall. Professional and instructional dealers will provide a fun evening of Black Jack, Texas Hold’em, Roulette, Craps and Wheel of Fortune games. There will also be a cash bar and raffle prizes. The casino night will benefit the Holy Name Youth Service project, a group of local high school students who participate in community service projects in the greater Boston area, around the state and in New Orleans. $40.
- Also on Saturday is Deutsches Altenheim’s annual Harvest Bazaar. Kick off your holiday shopping. Explore the dazzling jewelry, handmade knit goods, creative raffles, silent auction and delicious bake shop and try your luck at the White Elephant table. Traditional German and American fare will satisfy your lunchtime cravings. Admission is free and all proceeds benefit the Deutsches Altenheim Resident Activity Fund, offering Deutsches Altenheim residents a diverse selection of recreational programs. 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.