"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. You can also sign-up for the West Roxbury Patch.com daily or weekly newsletter that will come straight to your inbox with everything Patch.
- At-Large Boston City Councilor Felix . Only one city in America offers paid maternity/paternity leave for its employees. Want to know which one - click on the above link.
- , for both boys and girls, are today and ongoing until Sept. 14. Today its 4th and 6th grade boys tryouts starting at 5 p.m. You can register online by clicking the link to the registration form in the upper right corner of the website’s home page. . 5 p.m.
- Hear author Thomas J. Foley and Moderator Dick Lehr tonight. Thomas J. Foley, author of Most Wanted talks about the capture of James “Whitey” Bulger at the central branch of the Boston Public Library in Copley Square from 6 to 7 p.m. tonight.
- The Boston Public Library launched a new “Get Carded” campaign, in honor of Library Card Sign-up Month. The campaign encourages current library card holders to share a picture of themselves with their Boston Public Library card or a picture of their Boston Public Library card in action via Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #BPLgetcarded.
- The , ending 27 months of negotations.
Things you can do every day on West Roxbury Patch:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Click here to sign up for our daily newsletter.
- Share your thoughts on your community in a blog. Click here to get started.