A space heater, left too close to bedding, started a mattress fire in a bedroom on the second floor at 11 Charles Place Monday, said Framingham Fire Deputy Chief Kevin Burns.
The fire was reported by a neighbor, who witnessed smoke coming from the two-story residence, said Burns.
The quick thinking of the neighbor to report the smoke, helped us extinguish the fire quickly, said Burns.
Firefighters knocked down the one-alarm fire in 10 minutes and had the building under control in 25 minutes, said Burns.
Burns said there was a lot of smoke and water damage. He said the fire was contained to the bedroom, but caused $50,000 worth of damage.
He said the Framingham building department was concerned with the electrical system and wiring, so the residents were not allowed to stay in the building.
While no one was home at the time of the fire, the American Red Cross offered a hotel stay for the 4 adults who lived at the address.
The Red Cross also provided comfort kits and smoke packs, that include strong detergent to remove the smell of smoke from clothing and emergency funds for food and necessities like clothing and shoes to the four adults, explained spokesperson Ashley Studley.
Eighteen firefighters responded to the fire. No one was injured, said Burns.