On the 10th anniversary of 9/11, the students of the will be spearheading a donation drive for care packages for deployed troops.
The youth will be collecting items at Masses during the weekend of 9/11. After the 9 and 11 a.m. Masses, there will a coffee hour to gather and memorialize the anniversary.
"We are also reaching out to find the names of any parishioners or West Roxbury residents who are deployed in the Middle East who would welcome these care packages," said Kelly McDonough, parent coordinator. "If you know of anyone, please let us know at HolyNameYouthServiceProject@gmail.com or drop a note at the rectory."
Here is a list of items needed and desired:
- Instant soups such as ramen noodles
- Instant cereal
- Powder (especially foot powder)
- Any instant foods that take just hot water
- Socks (black or brown)
- Powdered drink mixes
- Disposable razors
- Granola bars
- Shaving gel
- Trail mix
- Hand and foot warmers
- Pop Tarts (generic or not)
- Baby wipes (they use them to clean themselves when they can't shower)
- Small packages of cookies/crackers
- Writing supplies
- Hard candy (no chocolate)
- CDs or DVDs
- Tootsie Pops
- Hand lotion
*Monetary donations would also be accepted and appreciated to defray the cost of shipping.